What does the Cosmelan Chemical Peel do?
At Dermology, we mainly treat our Melasma Patients with the Cosmelan chemical Peel. Cosmelan is a time-tested and successful treatment for skins of all types and ages. Skin discoloration bothers a huge percentage of the population in South Africa. Lifting pigmentation and keeping pigment formation under control is the dual goal of Cosmelan – and for most patients it works very well! Sun exposure will re-ignite pigment formation, so diligence in sun avoidance and sun protection helps prolong the improvements. Deep Stubborn pigmentation can respond very well with this treatment. Tyrosinase is a melanin-producing enzyme. By blocking this enzyme, less melanin gets produced therefore less hormonal pigmentation gets produced.
Peel Performed In-Office Only
Cosmelan is a Power-level Treatment Program for Reduction of :
- brown spots
- PIH (post inflammatory hyperpigmenation)
- skin discoloration
- hormonal hyper pigmentation
- Cosmelan has been used for many years both here and abroad and for our patients has achieved some of the highest levels of pigment reduction available in a topical formulation.
What does the Cosmelan Chemical Peel Procedure Entail?
The Cosmelan chemical peel is extremely popular at Dermology because it is effective in treating stubborn pigmentation Melasma and chloasma. In order for any person to receive the Cosmelan chemical Peel (as with all other procedures done at Dermology) they must have a full consultation with the Skincare Specialist first. During this consult a detailed Skin Analysis and Diagnosis will be made.
We do the Cosmelan chemical Peel in 2 Steps:
Step 1: Cosmelan chemical Peel Application
- The Cosmelan chemical Peel application will be done by your Skincare Specialist on the premises. Preferably during the morning. The patient will then go home with proper instructions on how and when to remove the Cosmelan Peel.
- The instructions also include all the detail of the Cosmelan chemical Peel itself and further information.
Step 2: Homecare
- The Cosmelan chemical Peel is a 3 month process where pigmentation, melasma, sun spots, uneven skin tone, dark marks, will still improve. The 3 months includes specific homecare and regular Follow Ups with your Skin Specialist.
What are the Benefits of the Cosmelan Chemical Peel?
The Cosmelan peel is used in the treatment of hormonal pigmentation. The peel is not very painful, and it does not take a very long time to perform. Not only is the Cosmelan Peel used in the treatment of pigmentation but also for sun spots, hormonal pigmentation, dark marks and uneven skin tone. It is safe to do the Cosmelan peel during any time of the year, as your skincare clinician will be guiding you through the whole process with proper homecare instructions. Due to the Homecare ingredients of the Cosmelan chemical Peel, the result will still improve as time goes on
Who will Benefit from the Cosmelan Chemical Peel?
The Cosmelan chemical Peel can be effective on all skin types, specifically for darker skin types with melasma or stubborn hormonal pigmentation, as well as PIH (Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation) from old injuries or acne scars.
Who cannot do a Cosmelan Peel?
The cosmelan chemical peel cannot be performed on children under 12 years of age, pregnant or breastfeeding women or patients who are on Roaccutane.
Why Cosmelan is Effective & Safe?
- Cosmelan for Melasma and Brownspots on the Face
- No hydroquinone – appropriate for nearly every skin type
- Multiple pigment removing ingredients combined in one system
- Accelerated cell turnover “pushes” present pigment cells to the surface where they are sloughed off.
- Expect a little peeling and redness – that’s all normal!
- Cosmelan will cause noticeable peeling and redness in the first 3 to 5 days. We recommend beginning your treatment near the end of the week so the major peeling is experienced over the weekend when you will not be in school or at work.
*Note: You MUST protect your skin from sun exposure with a full spectrum sunblock to prevent pigmentation return.
What Results could be Expected after a Cosmelan Chemical Peel?
As soon as one week post procedure of the Cosmelan chemical Peel, a reduction in pigmentation, sun spots, dark marks and melasma can be seen. In addition to that, the skin appears rejuvenated with a more even skin tone and can improve fine lines and wrinkles.
- Cosmelan Depigmentation can be used on all types of melasma and pigmentation
- Fast results in as little as two weeks
- Compatible with light and dark skin types (Fitzpatrick I – VI)
- Treatment can begin and be used all year round
- Very effective for acne patients
- Includes retinoic acid for cell turnover and renewal
- High safety margin