There is no quick fix method to cellulite removal. Cellulite, also known as orange-peel skin, can however be successfully treated.
Before you can treat cellulite though it might be a good idea to get to know exactly what cellulite is and what causes this unsightly orange-peel appearance of the skin.
- A poor lifestyle is usually the culprit when it comes to cellulite.
- A healthy lifestyle is perhaps the best insurance that you have of preventing cellulite.
Although cellulite occurs predominantly in women it does happen rarely that some men also struggle with it such as men that are in an androgen-deficient state and men who are given oestrogen to treat prostate cancer. The main reasons for this is that men’s fat formation is different to that of women. Women’s fat cells are stored in vertical chambers underneath the skin and connective tissue – these cells protrude a little and that is why it is so visible, whereas men’s fat cells are stored in more diagonal compartments which means that these actually support the fat cells.
Where is cellulite found?
- Cellulite will usually found on the buttocks.
- It can also be found on the inner, upper and back of the thighs.
- Cellulite is often also found on the hip area.
Did you know that there are two different kinds of cellulite?
- You get two different kinds of cellulite – hard cellulite and soft cellulite.
- Soft cellulite can only be seen when the skin is compressed and it can at times be sensitive to the touch.
- Hard cellulite is easily visible as the dimples are easily visible – but will no longer be sensitive.
Cellulite can start to make an appearance at any time after puberty. The reason for cellulite being found on the thighs and hips is that lipoprotein lipase, which is the enzyme that plays a role in the distribution of fat tends to be more concentrated on these areas.
In some instances cellulite can also be found on the upper arms, on the calves and ankles as well and the back below the shoulder blades.
Some contributing factors that cause cellulite:
- Gender – cellulite has a strong relationship with oestrogen, which is why you will find it on at least 90% of women.
- It can appear at any time after puberty, during pregnancy and when breast feeding.
- Women going through menopause or who use hormone tablets will more than likely have cellulite.
- Genetics play a role: If your mother or grandmother has cellulite, the chances are you will too.
The best way forward regarding cellulite removal is to use products that stimulate the blood circulation and maintain cardiovascular health as it will improve cellulite – visit our team of professionals for further advice on eradicating cellulite at our Aesthetic Laser & Skin Clinic in Sandton to find out more about successful cellulite removal.